In article <[log in to unmask]>, Fred
Cartwright <[log in to unmask]> writes
>--- Goat <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> In article

>> Generally I don't think near-patient testing should
>> be encouraged: it's
>> not as if we've got nothing else to do! Rapid blood
>> gases +/- potassium
>> possible exception.
>
>So why Blood gasses?
(...and K+). The results often guide very time dependent changes in
management. With the best will in the world, the lab system can't
deliver the speed I need. Very few other blood tests are that time-
critical.

>The problem
>with DVT/PE is that although the potential
>complications are very serious the risks of the drugs
>prescribed are not trivial.

Granted. So why don't we have 24/7 access to "gold standard" imaging
that all these ?DVT patients get eventually anyway? Answers on a
postcard please to HM Gov.

Dr G Ray
A&E
Sussex