Our labs were complaining for a long time about the
waste of money & time they spent doing lab d-dimers (?
elisa i think). £30,000 of so, often for inpatients.
We offered to take it over and run the d-dimer testing
from the ED - no inpatients, they all have raised
d-dimers anyway. To use the SIMLIFY test kit,
permission is required from the ED registrar - the
gatekeeper.
We use simplify, which I believe has 98% negative
predictive value, (with due regard to simon's
infinitely more scientific posting), and is very easy
to use - no need to refridgerate, foolproof to read.
Only bin going three months so no audit data
yet.Needless to say though, it is clear that
inappropriate use of the test is a fraction of what it
was previously so we get a better test, immesurably
quicker and I believe higher neg predictive value than
the lab one.

SteeveMeek
Bath

We only use it for PE, as part of a risk strat as
simon and others said.
We do not use it for DVT - I thought the evidence ws
lacking for a use in dvt - am I wrong?