We should all be moving towards senior-based care.

That requires entrants to the specialty with a lot of experience.

Such experience should be broad-based.

That takes time.

In short, there are no short-cuts if you want to practice A/E medicine,
which as we all know stands for "Anything and Everything".

While we're at it, is the FRCS(A/E) such a good idea anyway? One of the
things that I like about A/E is the broad background of many of us. On
my own rotation, there are physicians, surgeons and a radiologist as
well as holders of the A/E exam. (The anaesthetist wandered off back to
anaesthetics a couple of years ago).

Of the last group, they are far from the homogenous "one size fits all"
group nightmare, but I think that in the future, an abbreviated training
with a narrowly focussed set of skills will not do the specialty any
favours.
--
Stephen Hughes FRCSEd (Not A/E)