> For A&E patients treated with a leg plaster - how many of you prescribe
> some form of thromboprophylaxis, e.g Aspirin, Fragmin, etc? All
> patients? or just those with risk factors, e.g. previous DVT? Anyone
> know of any references about this subject?
The incidence is high even with low risk patients haven't got the references
but in the order  of 5%.  It is like air travel and DVT's it needs someone to
go and scan a lot of patients and the incidence will be high.  One of our
footballers recently suffered a PE after having a below knee POP for a lateral
malleolar fracture.  Case last year of a ruptured TA with PE.
With this is mind I saw a lady referred from St Elsewhere's for fracture clinic
referral.  She had an avulsion fracture of the navicular.  I took the POP off
and treated here with DTG.  She went and complained as the other hospital had
put her in plaster and that nasty doctor made her weight bear.
I treat most the sprains now with DTG and high risk I give LMW heparin when
immobilised in a POP
Danny
McGeehan

This message was sent using Internet Central's Web Based Email.
http://www.internet-central.net/