>So then the best of the Historian is subject to the Poet, for whatsoever
>action or faction, whatsoever counsaile, pollicie, or warre, strategeme,
>the Historian is bound to recite, that may the Poet if hee list with his
>imitation make his owne (...)

First, I would point "warre, strategeme" in Modern English as "war
stratagem," or "war strategy." As for "counsel" and "policy," both of them
(I think) mean roughly the same thing, i.e., suggestions for plans of
action. "Policy," though, has slightly sneaky overtones (e.g. that line
from Richard II that I am quoting from memory--"That were some love, but
little policy." I don't think either one pertains particularly to Rome, but
rather, to the debates over the place and responsibilities of the courtier.
See not only Castiglione, but Richard Strier's fine article in his and
Heather Dubrow's anthology, The Historical Renaissance (which I will be
very glad to send to Victoria, if she likes).

pch