Today's leader in the Daily Telegraph carried an apposite quote from the perceptive pen of RK. I doubt that they will publish it as it is but a small leaf in an autumnal storm. I would like to share my sentiments with the Society.

-----Original Message-----
From: m.jefferson <[log in to unmask]>
To: The Daily Telegraph <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wednesday, September 12, 2001 1:12 PM
Subject: This is the Tempest

Sir
Your superb leader (Wed Sept 12) accurately defined the impact of the events of Sept 11th. That you chose to quote the first stanza from Kipling's poem (The Storm Cone - written in 1932)was inspirational. I feel the second stanza is more prophetic:

Stand by! The lull 'twixt blast and blast
Signals the storm is near, not past;
And worst than present jeopardy
May our forlorn to-morrow be.

However, Kipling offers hope to us all in his final two sentences of the poem:

But, till she fetches open sea,
Let no man deem that he is free!

Michael Jefferson