  From: kn6
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Monday, September 24, 2001 2:55 AM
  Subject: The Solid Muldoon

  Dear all

  I am finishing my Ph.D in a week, and I really need somebody to help me with one question. Kipling's story,
  'The Solid Muldoon' has an Indian setting. But the 'ghost'-story which Mulvaney tells within the story, did it take place in India?
  I first thought the episode took place in India for it seems that Mulvaney was already with the Old Regiment, but then I do not understand the last sentence,
  'An' tha's fourteen years gone! Eyah! Cork's own city an' the blue sky above ut - an' the times that was - the times that was'. It sounds like the whole story took place in Ireland!  Where does this 'Cork' come from?  Was he in Ireland? Chorela is mentioned in the story, but there was plenty of them both in India and Ireland at that time.

  I need to read the story again, but if anybody knows the answer please let me know.

  best wishes
  Kaori Nagai