Dear Dr. Kerr,
    Your Kipling allusion in the quote from H.G Wells comes from the piece
of verse 'The `Eathen', the chorus at the end of v. 1, repeated in a
slightly different form at the end of the piece.

I think Wells has it (partly) wrong when he says/implies that Kipling found
that an excuse for "a thousand overbearing actions ......".  The piece of
verse is to the praise of army NCOs - "the backbone of the army is the
non-commissioned man", but the first two lines could be/were no doubt used
as such - "The 'eathen in 'is blindness bows down to wood and stone; 'e
don't pbey no orders unless they are 'is own".

Interestingly enough, at the Society's meeting last night, Sir Colin
St.John-Wilson, talking about Kipling & Tradition, talked about
the"arrogance" of the imperial vision, illustrating it with a slide of an
illustration (drawn from where he didn't say) of a heroic British soldier
(circa 1900) rescuing an Indian comrade under fire from the beastly Pathans
lurking on the precipitous crags around.  And Jan Morris, speaking earlier
this year, described an incident that she had witnessed in Egypt in the
1940s which illustrated that same point.

Without a doubt, the men (and to a lesser extent, perhaps, the women) who
read and liked Kipling's work did have an arrogance, a sense of
infallibility - no, personal certainty, which isn't quite the same thing -
which could lead to arrogance, intolerance, and (which is Kipling's point in
the two lines quoted by Wells) and unwillingness to accept second-best in
their work.

One could go on on that them for ages, but that's enough for the time being.

Yours,
Alastair Wilson