[log in to unmask] wrote:

>According to Bulteau's Monographie de la cathedrale de Chartres, vol.
1 (Chartres, 1887), pp. 185-86...
>As for Anne of Austria, according to her notice in the cathedral necrology
(hardly an unbiased source), after 23 years of sterility, she provided Louis
XIII with an heir, quite specifically by her prayers to
the Virgin made at Chartres, and after he was born, she made a pilgrimage of
thanksgiving to Chartres, donating at that time a new reliquary for
the head of St Anne. (Lepinois & Merlet, Cartulaire, vol. III, 1865,
p. 26).

thanks, Jim.

sounds like a simple Chemisette was not enough to do the job, on the Royal
level.  and no mention of one in Bulteau, i assume?

of course, ole Louie couldn't have been part of the problem, i suppose.

you're probably right about the Chartres necrology just *maybe* taking a wee
*bit* too much sole credit for the felicitous way things turned out.  wonder
what the necrologies of the other institutions she solicited and patronized
have to say.

btw, going through my totally junked-up bookroom, i recently came across my
copies of the _Inventaires sommaires_ of the E-et-L departmental archives.  i
didn't look closely, but as i recall, there are *thousands* of laisse, full of
post-medieval, pre-revolution documents.

no telling *what's* in there --just reading the summaries (some of them quite
detailed) would take more time than one would like to consider-- descriptions
of the old St. Anne reliquary which was replaced, etc.

most of that, presumably, would have been caught by Papa Lucien Merlet, the
first serious archiviste to thoroughly go through the actual
documents themselves --while writing the inventory from the 1860's to nearly
the end of the century.

a xerox could be made.

thanks again,

christopher