Today (7. September) is the feast day of:

Regina (d. c. 250)  According to a legend that appears to derive from that
of Margaret of Antioch, Regina was martyred by beheading at the demand of
her non-Christian father.  This is supposed to have occurred in Alesia in
Burgundy, which since the Middle Ages has been known as Alise-Ste-Reine.
There is evidence of her cult as early as the mid seventh century.

Sozon (d. probably 304)  Sozon was a shepherd in Cilicia.  One day he
destroyed some cult statues, sold the gilded metal they were made of, and
gave the proceeds to the poor.  He was then arrested as a Christian,
tortured, and burned to death.

Chlodoald (d. c. 560)  Chlodoald was a son of King Chlodomer of Orleans.
He became a priest and a recluse.  Chlodoald lived in Nogent, where in 555
he founded a monastery that was later named "St-Cloud" after him.

Dietrich I of Metz (d. 984)  Dietrich, born in c. 910, became bishop of
Metz in 964.  He served as advisor to both Otto I and Otto II, and was also
a very important promoter of monastic reform in Lotharingia.

Mercherdach (d. 1075)  Mercherdach came to Regensburg in c. 1040, and from
then until his death lived as a recluse.  He was much-visited for the sake
of his advice, including by Pope Leo IX in 1052.  When he was near death,
Mercherdach dug his own grave in his cell.

Dr. Phyllis G. Jestice

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]