But, in fact, humans DO change weather patterns.  I'm told, for example,
that the weather in the valley in which Phoenix, Arizona is located has
changed considerably over the years because of increased population, which
has (a) paved over massive areas of the former desert and/or (b) installed
massive amounts of air condition, which pumps hot, humid air back into the
environment and (c) the continually constructed golf courses.  The latter,
of course, being nothing but heavily watered grass where sand and rock
existed before.  Thus, the average humidity is greater and the literal path
of seasonal thunderstorms has shifted.

And while this might seem to have little to do with mapping per se, I submit
that maps are the necessary and best way to sort out such phenomena.

-Tom Johnson