From tsettle Sat Sep  1 05:49:13 2001
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: dante - tolomeo
Bcc: [log in to unmask]

Dear Italian Studies,

  I am hoping that some expert in the 15th c. will be able to help me.

  As many will know, in 1587/88 Galileo gave two lectures to the Acc.
Fiorentina on the size, shape, etc. of the Inferno of Dante.  What I have
been doing in the last several months is looking into the background of
those two lectures, and I have lodged up against a problem.

  In 1506 Girolamo Benivieni "Dialogo di Antonio Manetti ... circa al sito,
forma ... dello Inferno ...".  There he put into the mouth of Manetti some
recommendations about what the reader ought to know in order to understand
the issues and Manetti's own conclusions on the subject.  The reader ought
to have "qualche poco di cognizione di geometria ... arimetrica ... un poco
di astrologia, almeno avere vista la sfera ... di cosmografia il Mantellino
di Tolomeo e la Carta da navicare ...".  --  It's the Mantellino di Tolemeo
that I am stuck on.  What is he referring to?

  I can think of several possibilities, including the one to the effect that
un Mantellino or Mantellius was an editor or publisher of one of Ptolemy's
works, possibly on geography.  But I have never seen the name before this,
and it does not eeem to appear in any of the standard Ptolemy bibliographies.

  Would someone here have seen it somewhere?  --  In Manetti or in Landino
or in any other of the Florentine eruditi of the late 15th century?

  Many thanks for any help.

  Tom Settle

To join the list, send the message: join italian-studies YOUR NAME
to: [log in to unmask]
To leave the list, send the message: leave italian-studies
to: [log in to unmask]
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/italian-studies.html