Dear Laurie,

I'm not certain about the identity of Leoni. If it is indeed Giovanni
Battista Leoni, as you state, you may want to check out his collection of
madrigals. An edition of this work can be accessed on-line at:

http://www.liberliber.it/biblioteca/l/leoni/

The Apollo citation is presumably a reference to an object, not person - the
statue of the Apollo Belvedere (a Roman copy of a Greek
C.5 century BC original), now located in the Museo Pio Clementino in the
Vatican. It formed part of Pope Julius II's collection, and was later
restored by Giovanni Angelo Montorsoli in the early 1530s. During the C.16,
it was celebrated as one of the most famous ancient Greek statues.

For an image, see:

http://www.artchive.com/artchive/G/greek/belvedere_apollo.jpg.html

The reference is pertinent, given that Apollo was traditionally described in
mythology as the god of poetry (as well as of the sun). Clearly, Leonora's
singing was so 'graziosa' that she even had the power to soften the stony
heart of Apollo himself!

For further info. on the Apollo Belvedere statue, see:
W. Helbig: Fuhrer durch die offentlichen Sammlungen klassischer Altertumer
in Rom, i (Tubingen, 1963), pp. 170--72
F. Haskell and N. Penny: Taste and the Antique: The Lure of Classical
Sculpture, 1500--1900 (New Haven and London, 1981), pp. 148--51
F. Pinter: 'Der Apollo von Belvedere', Jb. Ksr. Dt. Archaol. Inst., vii
(1982), pp. 164--77

Hope this helps you.

All the best,

Domenico.