In my view, perhaps Silagy is right in referring to NICE as an institute
with limited scope and objectives. But I don't see it a negative point,
and I can't see why having a broader agenda (as it has been claimed for
NICS) is an advantage on its own.

NICE has a few committees;  two advisory committees are responsible for
technology assessment and national guidance production. They are called
'technology appraisal committee' and 'clinical guidelines committee'.
They use, by surprise or perhaps inevitably, different methods and so
far NICE has published several guidances. As national guidances (and
guidelines), they tend to limit the patients and doctors choices and
this can be considered as a sort of rationing. NICE also deals with the
methodology of technology appraisal and guideline production.

The question is how successful is it? Not easy to answer, as there are
different views about it. I personally enjoyed very warm discussions
about it in iHEA conference at York.

The good point is that recently a group of researchers have been granted
with a research fund to evaluate the NICE impact and implementation of
its recommendations in primary and secondary care.

Perhaps this project will provide more evidence about the NICE influence
and the way forward.

Regards
Arash
--