From: Osher Doctorow [log in to unmask], Sat. Sept. 29, 2001 11:31PM

Continuing my study of the effects of aging on the digestive-renal-excretory
systems, the effects of adding holes to such systems (as in advanced aging)
is to make the Gaussian or total curvature more negative geometrically.
What this means is that for each hole that is added, the system in a very
small neighborhood of any point looks less and less like a sphere or
ellipsoid (egg-shaped) and more and more like an hourglass or trumpet horn
(especially toward the front part of the trumpet where there is more
bending).  For constant curvature surfaces, spheres have no holes and
positive curvature, tori (singular torus) or doughnuts have zero curvature
and 1 hole, and objects with 2 or more holes have negative curvature.

Members of Evidence-Based-Health may be interested in comparing these
results with tensegrity and Buckminster Fullerene results on shapes of
viruses (see these keywords on the internet, for example), where spherical
versus flattened and other shapes have some interesting relationships
geometrically to stability.   Technically, we are now talking geometry and
topology, not just geometry, which is even more interesting since we may
expect new results in relationship to health.

Osher Doctorow