Andrew Jull writes:

>Assuming a block size of 6 to randomise equivalent numbers
>to three different treatment groups (A,B,C), how do I find out
>what the total different number of combinations of AABBCC
>etc are, short of working it out by hand?

I like difficult problems like these. It's job security for statisticians.

Some people consider this stuff boring. I can't imagine why. If you're one
of those people, please delete this email.

The answer is 90. There are a couple of approaches that work.

Let C(n,k) be the combination formula, that is,

C(n,k)=n!/(k!(n-k)!)

There are 2 A's and six positions to place them in. So the number of ways to
place the As is C(6,4). There are 2B's and four remaining positions to place
them in. The number of ways to do this is C(4,2). Once the A's and B's are
in place, there is only one way to position the C's.

Using the multiplication rule, there are

C(6,4)*C(4,2)*1

ways to place the A's, B's and C's. This works out to equal

15*6*1=90.

Another approach is to note that there are 6!=720 ways to arrange 6 items.
But half (720/2=360) of these arrangements are redundant, because the A's
are indistinguishable. Another half (360/2=180) are redundant because the
B's are indistinguishable. Still another half (180/2=90) are redundant
because the C's are indistinguishable.

Whew!

There's a way to do block randomization with having to compute and tabulate
these combinations. See

http://www.childrens-mercy.org/stats/plan/random.asp

Steve Simon, [log in to unmask], Standard Disclaimer.
STATS: STeve's Attempt to Teach Statistics. http://www.cmh.edu/stats
Watch for a change in servers. On or around June 2001, this page will
move to http://www.childrens-mercy.org/stats