My opinion (for what it's worth) is to side with the ordinal camp. I believe
the Likert scale was originally designed to be this way.

See Oppenheim in "Questionnaire Design, Interviewing and Attitude
Measurement."  Pub Continuum (2000) p 195-200.

The problem with this, however, is whether the "neutral" or mid-point answer
is truly "mid-point" or whether the respondent scored this because he/she
didn't know where else to put the response.

John
Mr John P. Hampson  MSc; MPH
Teacher Practitioner Pharmacist
Gwenfro Academic Unit