sorry for cross-posting

At the end of last year we circulated a short article on what we saw as shortcomings of media and cultural studies on a number of lists.  We hoped to start some debate on the topic.  We received a number of responses.  These can be found at:

http://staff.stir.ac.uk/davidmiller/culturalcompliancedebate.html

We have now produced a reply to those responses, which can be found in two parts at:

Consumption, reception and power: Reply to critics of "Cultural Compliance" by David Miller and Greg Philo, Soundscapes, Vol. 4, September 2001 http://www.icce.rug.nl/~soundscapes/VOLUME04/Cultural_compliance_reply.html

'The active audience and wrong turns in media studies: rescuing media power' by David Miller and Greg Philo Soundscapes, Vol. 4, September 2001 http://www.icce.rug.nl/~soundscapes/VOLUME04/Active_audience.html

As before, we invite responses to this material.

Best wishes,

David Miller
Greg Philo