From: Laurence Bathurst [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 03 September 2001 18:47
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Moulin Rouge - without Crips?

Hi list

Same argument about straight actors playing gay or lesbian roles.  There
seems to be a fine line between representation and parody and between
'staged' sympathy and actual sympathy.  I wonder if anyone has any comments
about the Iranian film the name of which eludes me but has something to do
with drunk horses. I haven't seen it yet but it is semi-documentary in that
the characters are not played by actors. There is a boy with a disability
who plays a boy with a disability which apparently, from what I hear, shows
some of the very real pain that the boy experiences. That is, the things
you see are actual - not contrived. What sort of impact does this have on
its audience?

At 06:54 AM 4/09/2001 +1000, you wrote:
>And now it seems, Toulouse Lautrec is back in the news in Moulin Rouge  -
>the musical. This time the stunted genius is played by the non-disabled
>though slightly built John Leguizamo, who accentuates our herošs lisp ­
>possibly to underline his disabled status. In the original 50s version TL's
>role was taken by Jose Farrer who stumped around ­ painfully ­ on his
knees,
>his feet tied to the back of his thighs.  Therešs not so much obvious
>disability in the remake though, and the playing of a disabled artist by an
>able-bodied actor is bound reopen the debate about whether disabled actors
>should be employed to play disabled parts.  What do list members think?
>

>Best wishes,
>

>Michael Morgan
>2 Glenhill Park
>Glen Rd.
>Belfast
>BT11 8GB
>Tel: 028 9030 2944
>Fax: 028 9030 2973
>Email: [log in to unmask]

>Archives and tools for the Disability-Research Discussion List
>are now located at:
>
>www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html
>
>You can JOIN or LEAVE the list from this web page.

are now located at:

are now located at: