As a former (high school and college) actor, I don't have any problem with
this.  After all, the purpose of an actor or actress (do we still have
those?) is to, in essence, "pretend" to be someone else.  What counts is how
well they pull it off, not whether or not they have particular physical
characteristics.

There may be differences between stage and film, however:  Laurence Olivier
probably could not get away with playing Othello in 2001, considering the
array of excellent black actors we have these days.  However, he should not
be excluded simply because of the color of his skin.  After all, perhaps
Othello was a light-skinned Moor, no?

Timothy Lillie, Ph.D.
Department of Curricular & Instructional Studies
The College of Education
322 Zook Hall
The University of Akron
Akron OH 44325-4205
330-972-6746

  Therešs not so much obvious
> disability in the remake though, and the playing of a disabled
> artist by an
> able-bodied actor is bound reopen the debate about whether disabled actors
> should be employed to play disabled parts.  What do list members think?
>

> Best wishes,
>

> Michael Morgan
> 2 Glenhill Park
> Glen Rd.
> Belfast
> BT11 8GB
> Tel: 028 9030 2944
> Fax: 028 9030 2973
> Email: [log in to unmask]

> Archives and tools for the Disability-Research Discussion List
> are now located at:
>
> www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html
>
> You can JOIN or LEAVE the list from this web page.

are now located at: