The question is a valid one, because the example I was referring to
is of course not located in the DDA but hails from other policies
and legislation. I think there is an onus on the academy to highlight
disabled people's rights particularly when these have arisen out of
obscure legislation, because it is all to easy for the state to renege
on its responsibilities regarding those rights. This is particularly the
case when frontline state workers (eg benefits officers, social
workers, doctors) and funding bodies (eg health authorities, PCTs,
local authorities, social security etc) are unaware of disabled
people's rights and their corresponding duties. We know from
various analyses of the workings of the state how difficult it is for
disabled people, even acting with collective power, to challenge
obscure bureaucratic rationing decisions successfully. One thing
academics can do within the kind of training relationships we tend
to have with the arbiters of the state (the doctors, nurses, social
workers, housing officers, benefits officers etc) is support disabled
people in claiming their rights by removing one of the barriers they
experience in accessing those rights - namely the ignorance of the
existance of those rights.

A classic example within my field is that disabled people have the
right (under the 1986 Disabled Person's Act and 1990 NHSCCA) to
an assessment of their needs, but most local authorities act as
though this does not apply to disabled people over the age of 65
(because they tend to become the responsibility of social work
teams working with 'older' rather than disabled people) which is a
dangerous form of ageism that can impact fairly significantly on
disabled people. Not only do most disabled people not realise they
have this right, and therefore find it difficult to assert, but most local
authorities renege on their responsibilities. If we do little else we
can at least try to remove the barrier of ignorance!

Kirstein

------------------------
Kirstein Rummery
NPCRDC