At 04:07 PM 9/19/2001 -0400, Wagner,Harry wrote:
>Eric,
>The changes you recommended to mediator and conformsTo have been made.  I
>also fully-qualified the rdf:resource attributes in the terms NS, as
>requested.

excellent, thanks.. this looks right.

>Your prototype looks good.  I am guessing you are doing all this in memory?

Yes. I don't expect it to scale like EOR or other RDF DB backed toolkits,
but it was quick an easy way to prototype some of these ideas and offer an
another independant demonstration of the benefits for the DCMI community to
declare terms in a consistent and systematic manner.

A bit more on Redfoot:

[[
Redfoot is a framework for building distributed data-driven web
applications with RDF and Python. It is being developed by James Tauber and
Daniel Krech.

It can be used to develop personal or workgroup information environments,
community web sites or any kind of web application that involves managing
the relationships between different information objects in a consistent yet
extensible manner.

Redfoot includes:
- in-memory RDF database
- RDF parser and serializer
- query API
- templating language for building RDF-driven web-sites
- reusable module architecture and sample modules (including schema-driven
RDF editor module and RSS viewer module)
- beginnings of a peer-to-peer architecture for communication between Redfeet
]] -- http://redfoot.sourceforge.net/

Add a back-end RDF Database and change the programming language to Java and
it sounds a lot like EOR :)

>I still think we should add the isRefinedBy propertie(s) to elements that
>have refinements.  The performance overhead of the extra sql calls is too
>great otherwise.  This is done all the time in conventional DBs using
>forward and backward pointers.  It is even more important with RDF since you
>don't have the data (in columns) to build indexes on.

I would suggest not focusing on adding any additional information to the
schema.  The redfoot prototype http://potlach.org:8000/ demonstrates how
one can infer isRefinedBy properties to elements that have refinements.  I
would much rather focus on making sure the schemas are accurate and
up-to-date.  Additionally, I'd suggest focusing on encouraging the DCMI
community to begin to declare human readable labels and descriptions in
multiple languages in the same consistent and systematic manner.  Registry
and navigation tools are only as good as the data, unfortunately we seem to
have very little data to navigate.

semantic web activity lead               mailto:[log in to unmask]
w3c world wide web consortium            tel:1.614.763.1100
200 technology square, ne43-350          fax:1.208.330.5213
cambridge, ma 02139 usa