On Chomsky

Mike Chumer writes "doing nothing and trying to reason with a  rationality so different then our own might be even worse."

Chomsky and others are not arguing for nothing to be done. I believe they are arguing that something different to violence is the better response. That committing Afghans to starvation is not an appropriate response.

I'm not comfortable with discussions of rationality - but I am worried that this is another dubious way to define otherness.

>>> Michael CHUMER <[log in to unmask]> 9/19/2001 11:55:51 PM >>>
As concern over the form of the reaction by the US mounts academics such
as ourselves should reflect both on our roles as scholars and the academic
freedoms that we enjoy.

Yesterday at lunch I was joined by 2 professors from NJIT ( New Jersey
Institute for Technology) whose campus is adjacent to Rutgers-Newark. Our
dining area is utilized by faculty from both schools. The conversation
focused both on the events , at the fore of our minds at this time, and
also on what kind of scholarly forums we should be conducting within both
of our schools to openly address the multitude of concerns of students and
faculty. We agreed there is value in conducting these forums and will have
more discussion as to the forms that they should take. I would be
interested in learning how your colleges and universities are addressing
discussion forums ( if they are) and also how you as individuals within
your own teaching and scholarship are communicating and discussing these
events.

Taking a different yet somewhat related tack on this, I sense that many
scholars fear a violent reprisal and sustained action as are being
formulated  as we speak. This I can understand. Our kind of rationality
has as its basis the value of human life. From this position any action
that violates the sanctity of this "value" should be avoided and
alternatives sought. However this value which only makes sense for those
of us with similar rationality and belief systems prevents the kind of
action required to confront yet another form of rationality and
beliefs. One that is so difficult to comprehend. One that meticulously
planned the destruction of close to 6000 human beings. Perhaps more as is
being uncovered in the present investigation.

The beliefs we hold prevent us from what I sense is the kind of action
required. The beliefs of the "other" in which human life embedded in
belief systems different that the "other" have no value precipitates the
very action we abhor. It is a sort of humanistic paradox. We value life so
as not to destroy it they de-value life and the only answer is
destruction. Our values prevent us from acting but theirs spurs them on
resulting in violent action.

How we deal with this paradox is the issue I am struggling with. In a
recent post Noam Chomsky is interviewed and it seems that the suggestion
is that a violent form of retribution might result in some sort of
unification of the "other" and this strikes a cautionary note. Yet doing
nothing and trying to reason with a  rationality so different then our own
might be even worse.

Mike Chumer