Mike wrote:

> What drew me to critical scholarship in general and critical
management in
> particular was not any specific ideological position or affinity but
> rather what appeared to be an approach to inquiry that
transcended
> ideological alignment. After all inquiry and research into the basic
> assumptions underlying the beliefs of individuals and collectives
suggest
> that the scholar remains both neutral and reflexive.

I think that Mike's post really takes us to the heart of what is 'critical',
 though I have to confess doubts about the distiction between his
accout of 'critical' scholarship and more traditionally 'scientific'
modes of enquiry.

example 1 - reflexivity
Mike suggests that reflexivity involves "scholars as instruments in
the research process" being aware of, and articulating, their biases
 so that their research can be evaluated accurately.

This is simply a claim for greater scientific objectivity - not a
problem in itself but it does imply that the scientist can step back
from, and be objective about, himself.  The possibility of doing this
is not universally accepted and for many, myself included, the
impossibility of realising this act of separation is a defining
problematic for 'critical' approaches.  Mike's resolution of this
problem in neo-cartesian terms (separating objective/neutral mind
from subjective, embodied experience and belief) seems
premature at the very least.

This raises point 2 - neutrality
Connected to the discussion above, there have been a number of
theoretical interventions featuring prominently in 'critical
management' scholarship that have problematised the idea that
knowledge can ever be neutral.  Recent exchanges on this list have
illuminated this point far more eloquently than I could.

Mike - I was unsure about your big 'CM' little 'cm' point.  For myself
the capitalised 'Critical' connects to the European 'Critical Theory'
tradition of the Frankfurt School etc. which is a strong current in
CMS in the UK.  'critical', on the other hand, is an imprecise and
much contested term that, to misquote Humpty Dumpty in Alice In
Wonderland, seems to mean 'exactly what people want it to mean'.

This is a serious point.  'critcal' is being contested right now on this
group and in numerous conferences, books and papers.  Central to
 this contestation is the concept of 'ideology'.  Which brings me
back to the starting point of Mike's post, and his desire to
'transcend' ideology.  In 1931, Adorno distinguished between
'transcendent' and 'immanent' critiques.  Whilst Mike's approach
follows the transcendent line and seeks to expose ideology from a
position outside that ideology (a transcendent critique of critical
management so to speak), an immanent critique would start to
expose internal contradictions from within a specific position,
without assuming that we can ever entirely escape ideology and
subject position.  It seems that this latter might be a more useful
point from which to pursue Mike's stated aim of making critical
management "critical about its own criticalness" without necessarily
 assuming a priori the possibility of neutral knowledge.

If we go for the latter and claim privileged access to objectivity and
neutrality by following scientific principles of, e.g. falsifiability, then
what distiguishes 'critical management' from 'management
science'?

My apologies for the simultaneous length and simplicity of this post,
chris

Christopher Land
Teaching Fellow
Industrial Relations and Organizational Behaviour
Warwick Business School
CV4 7AL
024 76524658