I do not wish to suggest or give the impression that I think research
should be value free...especially "critical" research . What makes our
research so interesting and enlightening is that we do have a perspective
and we in one form or another have strong ideological positions. Yet I
sense that many feel by being critical we enter into what I call the first
order of reflexivity and use that position only. By doing so we will mask
our ideology cause we are speaking from the position of ideology only. In
the way that we speak and in the way we argue the basis of our being
critical might be grounded in a certain ideological position but it is
left to the reader to ferret that out. Is that being critical?

My suggestion is that we should be reflexive about our own reflexivity, a
second order of reflexivity, which causes the researcher to attempt to
stand outside themselves including their own ideologies and critique from
that level. Not an easy thing to dowrestle and come to grips with one's
own ideology and understand it enough to critique it, its implications on
research, and weave that critique into the critical research. From this
second level of reflexivity the ideology is exposed for what its is giving
other scholars a clear understanding of the basis, bias  and grounding of
that research. Ashmore does an excellent job in explaining the many facets
of reflexivity in the "Reflexive Thesis". Dorothy Lander uses second order
reflexivity in her article "Re-pairing knowledge worker and service
worker" in "Managing Knowledge Critical Investigations of Work and
Learning" by Prichard, Hull, Chumer and Willmott.

Do we all have specific ideologies and belief systems? Certainly. Are they
of value in and of themselves when conducting research? Perhaps. Should
these ideologies be exposed as part of a researcher's particular
project? I think so. Paul mentions that his survey indicates a strong
leaning to the "left" and suggests that this is reflective of the "mission
statement". Well perhaps this statement needs revisiting.

I make the claim about being reflexive of one's own reflexivity cause I am
on the final throes of completing a self ethnography which has forced me
to think this way. Geez I have a host of biases based on some strong
ideologies and I can certainly speak from those positions. It might make
for some interesting reading but would it be "critical" scholarship?

In other words I pull out of myself in almost a kind of out of body
experience and then critique myself performing a first order reflexive
analysis. Not only do I critique within the framework of the self
ethnography but I also critique myself doing so. Makes for some outlandish
headaches.

I am not suggesting that critical research be value free rather that those
values should not be masked but exposed for what they are and how they
might affect the first order critique.

Mike Chumer
( I am a grandfather again...Dylan Michael was born Sept. 26 in NYC)