 Hello Mike

While I understand you anger and frustration, I worry that in order to
justify or intellectualise your feelings you feel the need to invoke 19th
century philosophy on the way. The legacy for Nietzsche's work of the
irrationalism of the 1930's has already left a permanent scare on our
intellectual culture.

For Hegel, the real is only rational in a real sate of rationality to
paraphrase the oft used, but seldom understood line. This is clearly not the
case at this point in world history. Nor can his system be used to defend
the proposition that A=A and B=B. The west (not just the USA) is both a
force of criminality as well as justice, these terrorists are both innocent
and guilty. The world is not monochromatic whatever the media is trying to
tell us. Nor are people monadic; we are not simply self-directing. Consider
the implications of your reasoning. If the western alliance accidentally
kills another ten thousand innocent civilians, will it take responsibility,
or say it was provoked and it can't be held responsible?

If you want revenge against the bastards that killed thousands of your
countrymen (as well as others from all over the world), and you see that as
the grounds for a just war with all its potential consequences, I can
understand and, while disagreeing, accept that. However, please don't
tarnish even more the western philosophical tradition to justify it (unless
of course you want to invoke the man as a nationalist and anti-Semite, but I
wouldn't have thought so).

Best wishes

Philip