At 15:45 13/09/01, Robert Ensor wrote:

David Tehr raises the point of annual elections as a way of ensuring democracy worldwide. Although the Bolsheviks weren't exactly successful in implementing it, it is perhaps worth recalling that they at least espoused a principle of immediate recall of politicians who did not implement the will of their constituencies. The fact that Stalin and others hijacked this, does not undermine the desirability of the principle.

I'm a bit shy of this idea myself Robert.  Raises the old question of whether elected Members to the legislature are "delegates" or "representatives".   I personally lean towards the latter.   I do however like the idea of Citizen Initiated Referenda - as long as the threshold is high enough to stop every issue going to a referendum.

 Elections every 4 years are, after all, intended to disenfranchise voters for a period of four years.

I don't know if I would use the word "intended", but that is effectively what happens.   Try knocking out Annual General Meetings for all shareholders of companies and see what happens!   Aren't we all equal shareholders in our respective communities?

Perhaps it would also be a good idea to introduce elections for company directors and Chairmen of Boards. At the moment they are only appointed by shareholders, as if the owners of capital are the only stakeholders in modern global companies. Surely the millions who invest their labour daily at a wage which by definition is lower than the value of what they produce should have a say in how they are managed and who does it. This would eradicate the Asian sweatshops of Nike and other corporations pretty quickly.

I really don't mind the system as it stands.  I do believe sincerely though that annual general elections would be a positive "paradigm shift" which would affect not only the political sphere, but the business (and every other) sphere as well - in trems of accountability and responsibility (the latter in particular as shareholders - no longer could we continue to say with immunity "It's not in my power to do anything about ...."

With regard to US presidential elections, an immediate problem arises. As the US state frequently involves itself in the affairs of most people worldwide, either without invitation or at the request of unelected dictators, the question that arises is who should elect the American government. Perhaps the other citizens of the world are as much a stakeholder in the American state as Americans themselves.

It may well come to pass that we do get a "world government" somewhere way down the future.   But it won't be the American Government.   It will be a bona fide, stand alone world government.   Not that I would hold my breath about that one, or really wish it.  It may also be that there will be continuing devolution into smaller and smaller political bodies, held together for security via alliances & treaties rather than under one sovereign body.

Thanks for entering into the conversation Robert.  Anybody else got any thoughts on this matter?

Regards,
David Tehr
Perth, Western Australia