Simon B wrote:
> 2. The death toll from these incidents will, while small in terms of those
> generated by recent natural disasters and wars in developing countries (a
> point well worth stressing), irevocably change the world geopolitical order

The big question is how. Liberal political commentators tend to think
it is really terrible when the USA seems to be disengaging more from
the rest of the world. Unfortunately the kind of engagement we are
now likely to see will dwarf Reagan's attack on Libya or
Clinton's cruise missile assaults. I was just thinking - Afghanistan
hasn't been invaded / attacked for a while - it's just about on its
knees as an economy, and some of its population might be very
grateful for the fall of the Taliban... surely not...?

> 3. This will be exacerbated if the US response is disproportionate, tit-for-tat,
> and poorly executed (in which case, we are all in serious trouble)

I think this is depressingly likely - though how nay tit-for-tat
repsonse to this situation could be well-executed I am not sure. The
sensible thing to do would be for the USA to take a long hard look at
its own standing and behaviour in the world and ask why di this
happen rather than simply falling back on Biblical and apocaplyptic
discourse like 'an assault on civilisation' or 'pure evil' (not that
I am saying that the people who did this are in any way good).

> 4. The terrorist strategy was supremely obvious - David slays Goliath? Allusions
> to Pearl Harbour aside, has this ever been tried before?

There was a foiled plot along similar lines a few years back
involving a lot more aircraft than this (12, I think). Personally I
am very surprised it hasn't suceeded before.

> 6. The 'national security' lobby here will be almost impossible to hold
> back. Although the Star Wars program will begin to look like a White Elephant
> pretty soon, faced with these sorts of attacks.

I think you'll find this will just make Congress minded to massively
increase the defense budget in all directions whether they have
direct relevence to this kind of attack or not.

> My sympathies to anybody caught up in this personally.

And mine too.

I have to say though I had mixed feeling watching this happen. I felt
sorrow for the inddividuals caught up in this - and let me stress
that whatever I say now is in not intended to diminish the personal
tragedy that has hit them and their families and friends - yet I also
felt a certain strange elation at the fact that someone had had the
daring to hit the most symbolic military and economic aspects of
America (and of world capitalism). I could also understand why
people were dancing on the streets on Palestine. I have never felt as
Blair seems to want us to feel, any sense of solidarity with the USA
as a state, and I think it is immensely irresponsible and dangerous
of Blair to try to align the British with the Americans at this time
(or indeed any time). Maybe such honesty will get me into trouble -
but that's how I felt, and I can't change that.

David.
Dr David Wood

Research Associate
"Policy Learning in the Common Fisheries Policy"

Politics Department
University Of Newcastle upon Tyne
NE1 7RU
UK

Tel: +44 (0)191 222 7465
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

NB: my current job finishes at the beginning of September.
From October 1st my job and address will change:

Earl Grey (!*) Postdoctoral Research Fellow
(*yes, as in the tea...)
"The Evolution of Algorithmic Surveillance
and the Potential for Social Exclusion"

Centre for Urban Technology (CUT)
School of Architecture, Planning and Landscape,
University of Newcastle upon Tyne
etc.

Tel: tbc; e-mail stays the same.