From: Popke, Jeffrey [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 18 September 2001 18:03
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: the Hunger site

Greetings,

Personally, I find The Hunger Site itself to be rather objectionable.  It
basically represents the commercialization of the guilt of wealthy,
technologically endowed residents of the North.  It is a for-profit
enterprise, the sole purpose of which is to create a web address where
corporate sponsors can be guaranteed thousands of 'hits' by folks who
supposedly have a social conscience.  The more you buy, the more you
'donate'.  The new owners of the site have deleted the information about the
dollar amount they give per click - all they will say is that they donate 'a
cup of rice'.  This is a few pennies.  I added it up sometime last year and
figured that if you click every day for a year, you will have 'forced' the
sponsors to donate less that $5, small price to pay for launching cookies to
track the surfing habits of the lefty elite.  And we of course get to
passively and vicariously assuage our consciences without ever leaving the
warm glow of our computer screen.

Cheers,

Jeff Popke

E. Jeffrey Popke, Ph.D.