Dear People,

I have recently written the following in my "journal that I have to keep for my journal at my 12 week placement.  Are would like to know - are the points I've made about people disabilities largely accurate, especially the last...

"...

Well, I belong to several "communities" but as a member of the community of people with disabilities I can relate best to the "critical reference group", the community steering group representing the people of Apollo Bay.  People with disabilities have also been hit hard by the strictures of economic rationalism.  For instance:

a) Many children are being integrated into mainstream schools with aides for only two days or a week, IF they have assertive parents;

b) it has been noted there was "a subtle move back to back to larger services where day services were expanding into accommodation, where there was a shortage", particularly in the rural areas which could be seen as a "return to 'institutionalized' services (Laragy, Dr. Carmel, Individualised Funding in Disability Services: Interim findings from an evaluation of the "Futures for Young Adults" program, Victoria, Presentation Social Policy Research Centre [SPRC] Conference, University of NSW, July 2001, p. 1.);

c) people with disabilities often find it more difficult than even people without disabilities to access "new" technologies like ATMs, the Internet, etc.;

and worst of all

d) they are the first not to be employed by profit-hungry monolithic multinational companies, and those agencies and smaaller companies who have taken the myriad jobs that used to be performed by the Public Service.

e) pensions are continuously falling in "real value".

Jai Guru Dev (this means I'm acknowdging the spiritual "spark" in you!),

"Sundari - pronounced Soon(like lun in 'lunatic!')-DHE-ree" [my e-mail name].

are now located at: