I think what is important are clear definitions of what the elements mean,
with examples from current practice. The terminology of the current
documentation can be daunting and too technical. The examples they give
don't always clarify.

Also how about a section on interoperability
Maybe a section on any tools that can help e.g. XML authoring software than
can be used with IMS dtd
How to extend IMS - best practice/guidelines

Regards
Juanita