On 16th July, Philip David and Petra posted the following e-mail about the
Glastonbury White Spring to Well and Spas:

"The well house is empty, padlocked, and displays a very out-of-character
commercial notice board with estate agents' contact info.

"Can anyone get them to remove it and the padlock, so we can get in to clean
up the trash and tend the plants, etc. as we do outside".

I then spent a period away from home, but since my return I have not been
able to find any reply to this request. I wonder if anyone could tell me more.

As to the well house, it would appear that the previous owners have given up
and are selling out. If so, I can't see any objection to the building being
locked up and an estate agents board being affixed until such time as there
should be another owner. If Philip David and Petra are eager to clear the
rubbish and tend the plants, can they not get in touch with the estate agent?
He might welcome a bit of tidying up!

I have visited Glastonbury and the Chalice Well and White Spring several
times in the past and main interest at present is in the future of the White
Well itself. A few weeks ago, by coincidence, I bought Nicolas R. Mann's "The
Isle of Avalon", a new edition of a book previously published in 1996. The
new edition is published as a paperback, ISBN 0 9536631 3 2, by Green Magic,
BCM Inspire, London WC1N 3XX. In this and previous booklets Nick Mann gives
the fullest information anywhere available about the White Well, which
contrasts with and complements the Red Spring (or Chalice Well), now
beautifully preserved in a peaceful garden on the other side of Well House
Lane. The sources of water of the two springs, only a few yards apart are
very different, that of the Red Spring being chalybeate and coming from the
deep strata, with no seasonal variation of flow, while that of the White
Spring is calcareous and comes from higher levels, apparently from under
Glastonbury Tor. Its flow is very subject to variation with the local
weather. There are traditions that before being built over the White Spring
gave access to underground caves, tending to confirm the belief that there
are other caves under the Tor to which access has never yet been gained.

Previously, the White spring had been a popular beauty spot, but during the
1870s, in order to provide a safe source of water free from the Cholera that
had afflicted Glastonbury, the local council, in the face of much opposition
from local people, enclosed the white spring and built a reservoir and pump
house on the site. Surplus water continued to drain away from outside the
pump house. More recently, in the 1980s, the buildings were disposed of by
the water company and converted into a house and a somewhat dank and murky
cafe. It is these buildings that are apparently now being sold. The remnants
of the White Spring have received considerable attention from modern devotees
of springs and the site outside the house is today decorated with rags and
flowers and other offerings.

In his book, Nick Mann expressed the hope that the White Spring might one day
be restored, although he does not indicate just what he envisages. A full
restoration would involve the demolition of the reservoir and pump house but,
even if this was desirable, it might not be possible to get planning consent
for this. Nevertheless, the site is of considerable interest, whatever views
one might take of the two springs, geological, historical, mythological,
mystical or otherwise. A restoration would complement the Chalice Well on the
other side of Well House Lane. Perhaps, even, the two springs could be
combined in one area (although the fact that Well House Lane is public
highway would seem to preclude this).

The fact that the Well House is at present apparently up for sale would seem
to present an excellent opportunity and one which will be lost if not seized
now.. Perhaps a Trust could be created to acquire it. It would, of course,
require the raising of considerable sums of money, but public subscription
might achieve this as it has done in the past. In the end, however, it would
greatly enhance the attraction of this part of Glastonbury, between the Tor
and the Chalice Well and preserve the beauty and traditions of the area for
future generations.

I live far from Glastonbury, but I have always enjoyed visiting ithe town and
reading about its history, myths and traditions. I wonder if anyone else
thought along these lines? I should welcome information.

Yours sincerely,

David Lister.