From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">RIDDELL, David
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2001 12:00 AM
Subject: Re: ultrasound

Hi Henry

I was trying to be a bit challenging?! Like you I have spent all my time in private albeit somewhat longer and I am aware of the issues you face (financial vs professional etc).

My last word on US (I hope). I actually completed a RCT way back in 1991 for my University thesis (which I didn't publish) - too busy/idle? anyway we looked at a very specific injury (acute lat lig sprains of the ankle with only specific ligs injured + a whole lot of exclusion criteria, time of injury within a tight window period, rigorous regime of 5 treatments over a 7 day period etc etc - it was extremely tightly controlled, dosages frequency etc was based on the best available evidence at the time mainly work by Dyson and ? (can't remember off the top of my head). We objectively measured outcome i.t.o digital goniometer, water displacement and subjective VAS. Control group got sham otherwise everything else the same.

The EXpt. group improved significantly on two of the three measures and had a clinically but not statistically significant improvement on the third. HOWEVER the problem was that because dosage was based on an 'accurately measured' area using a grid, we found that the average time of insonation was in the region of about 18 minutes and that some patients - large gents required up to 25 minutes - not very practical!!!

Anyway keep well

Dave Riddell