That's indeed a good point, Jason, "should we put that in the hands of
students who have never treated a patient by themselves?". It could indeed
well be that students do not yet have the clinical insight to be able to
determine what would be a useful research topic.

But then: would that differ from the other medical educations? It seems to
me that medical educations that are universitarian, and that require and/or
facilitate medical research, deal with the same problem. Still, I have never
seen a government or insurance company question classical surgical treatment
for chronic spinal problems, with respect to the cost-effectiveness ratio.
At the same time however, PT is constantly criticised for being non-evidence
based, and/or being non-cost-effective.

This discrepancy is starting to **** me off, when I look at the equally poor
scientific foundation of surgery.  I'm a (professional) literature
researcher, and when I look at the number of RCTs that compare surgical to
non-surgical treatments, the number in itself is devastatingly low, and the
number that prove surgery to be more cost-effective is even lower. In fact,
zero!

That's why I would like to see much more research being done by PTs, and
would love to do research myself, for that matter. The thing however is:
means and coaching....

R.,
Frank