-----Original Message-----
From: - for physiotherapists in education and practice
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Beatus, Joseph
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2001 9:52 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PHYSIO] Raising the bar

Hi. I agree with most of the comments, on both sides. WEll, its
possible!
 Personally, I do not think research in most PT schools, unless
affiliated with research institutions and access to PATIENTS in large
numbers, will (a) make a difference in practice, (b) add prestige to the
profession, (c)make us autonomous, unless we can persuade the insurance
brokers that WE KNOW (see K. Malterud, Lancet 2001;358:397-4000)our
domain and  finally, for now, (d) influence our patient interaction.

Reasoning (a) research , data and statistics do not make a field of
human interaction (see Lancet article-a must for all the who-is-who in
research, -the patient avoiders
           (b)in my experience, as both a faculty member, AND a
clinician, the title may open the door, and awe the patient for the
first 1 min, but if the "shake and bake" mentality persists (I include
most voodoo in this category, for if the patient had to self-pay, would
they?) they see through it. further, specialization is her to stay, and
few PTs are able to transcend the treatment of a preemie and mobilize
the SI point, measure a W/C for a competitive, cord injured, and design
a work place
              (c)in many regions and institutions we are under the
auspices of physiatrists, a bane. Few are conscientious and MANAGE
patient care, or perform necessary EMG. Most have no idea of our
work-but are able to raise the cost of medical care. A DPT may make them
superfluous-I hope. A DPT may cull a few of incoming students who do not
belong in a compassionate field of work.
                 (D)terminal degrees do not improve hand skill,
communication, awareness, depth of analyses, experience and (fill the
blank). The research algorism IS NOT what PT researchers think. SOME of
the paths are similar, but not all. differentiation between a MCA,
Cerebellar or brainstem stroke is fine diagnosis, but how to handle or
intervene (new PT jargon in the States) is another ball game, or play.
The latter has much more in common with patient care then ANOVAS, or
Factor analysis.
Joe