According to Latham's Revised Medieval Latin Wordlist (under tuallia), it is a "towel or altar-cloth."

Philip Rusche
UNLV

----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Laura Jacobus
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Sunday, August 19, 2001 3:46 PM
Subject: [M-R] tobalia/tovalea

I've come across the term 'tovalea' in a fourteenth century inventory, and it seems to correspond with a 'tobalia' mentioned in a fifteenth one, but I don't know what it means.  The items in question are associated with lecterns, and some have two 'capitibus' , which would seem to indicate that they were books or cloths, depending on how the latter term translates.  Any suggestions?  Working from home during the school hols, I don't have access to Niermeyer et al.

laura