Dear Benjamin,
I don't know if this is useful, but the Angers Apocalypse tapestries
offer an idea of how tapestries were used and perceived throughout the
centuries.

After the death of "King" René of Anjou the famous Apocalypse series
was  bequeathed to St. Maurice Cathedral of Angers in which they were
hung.  The tapestry series was displayed on special occasions (such as
royal entries) and major religious holy days (the feast of St. Maurice,
Christmas, Easter and Pentecost); contrary to their original purpose,
the tapestries thus became a religious object.  One of the most prized
possessions of the church treasury, the tapestries were first proudly
displayed in the cathedral and later carefully put away, preserved in
large chests in the sacristy.  At the end of the 17th century when the
church choir was renovated, the tapestries were hung in the nave and
choir to hide the church interior.  By the end of the 18th century,
however, the tapestries' offended the classical aesthetic sensibilities
of the church canons who decided in 1767 that "les tapisseries causant
aux voix un très grand préjudice ne seront plus tendues".  They were put
up for sale (unsuccessfully) in 1782.

K. Sowley