"hangings" are also regularly mentiond in Icelandic inventories.
Here, however, the issue would probably not be accoustics,
but warmth (bear skins are also mentioned - the assumption has
been that they were to keep the priests feet warm during
the sermon!)
M Cormack

>medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture

>[log in to unmask] wrote:

>> the late 15th-century French panel painting of the Mass of St Gilles
>....There are several textile hangings represented in the church.

>http://www.kfki.hu/~arthp/html/m/master/stgilles/gilles2.html

>all kinds of potentially sound-deadening stuff in there:  short hangings from
>the triforium, choir furniture, brass tomb architecture, altar frontals,
>moveable curtains, carpets (or could that be a *very* detailed mosaic floor?),
>heavily draped angels (presumably for fine-tuning the baffling, on the fly, as
>it were)...

>interesting to note that the fabric hangings do *not* appear to be
>figured tapestries, but simply solid colors.... almost as though their
>function could have been more than just visual decoration.

>cc

>To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME
>to: [log in to unmask]
>To send a message to the list, address it to:
>To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion
>to: [log in to unmask]
>In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to:
>For further information, visit our web site:
>http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html

Margaret Cormack                        [log in to unmask]
Dept. of Philosophy and Religion        fax: 843-953-6388
College of Charleston                   tel: 843-953-8033
Charleston, SC 29424-0001

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]