At 09:40 AM 08/24/2001 +0200, you wrote:
>medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval
religion and culture

>Dear learned ones,
>
>Perhaps it's a simple question, but I just don't have the
answer: 3 is the
>number of God (Father-Son-Holy Spirit), 5 is the number of
Mary
>(Maria-Virgo-Mater) and 2 is the number of the devil. But
why is that?

>Bas Jongenelen

I don't have an answer to this specific question, but you
might be able to find one in: Heinz Meyer and Rudolf
Suntrup, _Lexicon der mittelalterlichen Zahlenbedeutungen_
(Munich: Wilhelm Fink Verlag, 1987).  This is an exhaustive
resource, to put it mildly, and one that should be able to
point you in the right direction.

Stephen A. Allen

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]