Dear Ronald,

I'm afraid I don't have the ideal the answer to your question,
but feel that the National  Library of Scotland really ought
to have a stab at this one!

The parishes shown on Thomson's map of Inverness-shire, as
with most other county maps, and all later Ordnance Survey
maps are the civil or 'quoad civilia' parishes. By the 19th
century, these could often be quite different from the ecclesiastical
or 'quoad sacra' parishes, which for Scotland would be the reformed
Church of Scotland units from the 16th century, not Roman Catholic.
I do know of maps we have showing ecclesiastical and civil parishes
for Glasgow and Edinburgh in the 1830s and 1880s respectively, but
not for coastal Inverness-shire, I'm afraid.

The Mormon records and Scottish Record Office (now National Archives
of Scotland) records for births, marriages and deaths also focus on
the civil, not ecclesiastical, parish.

The only volume with maps I know of which could help is the 'Origines
Parochiales Scotiae : the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial
of the parishes of Scotland'. 3 vols. (Edinburgh : Bannatyne Club,
1850-1855) which provides a detailed account, comprehensively
referenced,
of the early history of parishes, their land owners, extent,
ecclesiastical buildings and taxations. There are maps at the end of
each volume,showing ecclesiastical parishes and their boundaries, and
I think Vol.II(2) covers the Diocese of Ross (I'm afraid I don't have
the volumes to hand). Obviously, this is covering a period much earlier
than 1800, but by that time only the civil parishes were usually shown
on maps.

Two other volumes which might be useful, but without maps are I.B.
Cowan's 'The parishes of Medieval Scotland. Scottish Record Society,
vol. 93. (Edinburgh: Neill & Co., 1967). This is essentially a list of
parishes at the time of the Reformation with information on the
appropration of their revenues.

Also the 1st Statistical Account of Scotland, 1791-1799, edited by
Sir John Sinclair, has a full alphabetical list of the parishes in
Scotland, including their presbytery and county (Vol. XX, pp. 401- 425).

It also includes an alphabetical list of "Parishes suppressed,
annexed to other parishes, or which have changed their names, with a
corresponding list of the Parishes under which they are now included",
a useful summary of various parish changes for the years up to 1791
(Vol XX, pp. 426-432).

Sorry this is not much help, but if you would like more information
on these volumes, or photocopies from them, do let me know.

Chris Fleet

Christopher Fleet
National Library of Scotland
33 Salisbury Place