RE: Pernicious Anaemia (PA) and Frequency of B12 Injections

Not really an answer to your question; instead an answer to a different question: is IM therapy needed? Several studies showing oral therapy to be effective:

Brody EA, Estren S, Wasserman LR. Treatment of pernicious anemia by oral administration of vitamin B12 without added intrinsic factor. N Engl J Med 1959;260:361-7.

Berlin H, Berlin R, Brante G. Oral treatment of pernicious anemia with high doses of vitamin B12 without intrinsic factor. Acta Med Scand 1968;184:247-58.

McIntyre PA, Hahn R, Masters JM, Krevans JR. Treatment of pernicious anemia with orally administered cyanocobalamin (vitamin B12). Arch Intern Med 1960;106:280-92.

Waife SO, Jansen CJ, Crabtree RE, Grinnan EL, Fouts PJ. Oral vitamin B12 without intrinsic factor in the treatment of pernicious anemia. Ann Intern Med 1963;58:810-7.

One study demonstrating its cost-effectiveness:

van Walraven C, Austin P, Naylor CD. Vitamin B12 injections versus oral supplements. How much mony could be saved by switching from injections to pills? Can Fam Physician 2001;47:79-86

Allen F. Shaughnessy, PharmD
Director of Research
Associate Residency Director
Harrisburg Family Practice Residency