    Of course this implicit bargain is unavoidable for the poor and a
choice for the rich. If you can not afford it then a price is as good as
an outright ban.
    I think Andrew Jull is right about the original question being an
issue of inclusion/exclusion criteria and generalisability. Assuming
that we are talking of selection before randomisation a partial solution
would be to make sure all doctors involved record their reasons for
exclusion. To confirm this the population characteristics of those
included and those excluded could be recorded and compared. Because as
Steve Simon says it is not just the official inclusion/exclusion
criteria that make the trial population different from that encountered
in clinical practice, but also the procedures by which volunteers are
recruited. For discretionary exclusion to be a sensible approach one
must assume there are good reasons for exclusion that one can not think
of when setting the exclusion criteria. If it is already known that for
some people genuine uncertainty does not exist then it is not ethical to
do a trial on them. It would appear better to specify who should and who
should not be included formally and openly rather than leaving it to
individual's discretion.

James