I am also very interested in this topic and appreciate the tip from Philip
Hall.  Two other places to start:

1) the Society of Medical Decision Making - they have a journal.  I recall
when I was looking at some of their earlier issues, there were some articles
in this area.

2) this also relates to the field of medical epistemology and medical
cognition, in particular, how clinicians learn how to act without perfect
certainty, something that at its base is human, but also is particularly
problematic in the medical field given our societal values about health and
perfection.  Three articles (among many others I'm certain) I've found
interesting in this area are

        Malterud K, "The legiimacy of clinical knowledge: towards a medical
epistemology embracing the art of medicine" Theoretical Medicine
1995;16:183-98

        Tonelli M, "The philosophical limits of evidence-based medicine"
Academic Medicine 1998;73:1234-40

        Schmidt HG et.al., "A cognitive perspective on medical expertise:
theory and implications" Academic Medicine 1990;65:611-21

Please summarize your findings for the list and thanks for your question -
wish I'd asked it!

Ken Yew
NH Jacksonville
Department of Family Practice