***Apologies for cross posting***

On the 8 and 9 October the Cochrane Economic Methods Group will be holding a
Satellite workshop as part of the 9th Cochrane Cochrane Colloquium in Lyon.

Although spaces are limited the workshop is open to anyone who is attending
the Colloquium and it is designed to provide an introduction to economic
techniques and to show how they can be applied to economic evaluations that
are based on Cochrane reviews. It is an opportunity for those with an
interest in using health economics but with a only limited experience to
move from the first principles of economic evaluation to practical
application of the techniques
Further details about the workshop and information on how to reserve a place
are provided below

Luke Vale
Co Convenor
Cochrane Economic Methods Group

A Cochrane Health Economics Workshop

The workshop will be given by:
Miranda Mugford, Professor, School of Health policy and Practice. University
of East Anglia, Luke Vale, Research Fellow, Health Economics Research Unit
and Health Services Research Unit, University of Aberdeen.

This workshop would be divided into four main sessions:
1. Health economics. What is it? Why do we need it?
In this lecture, some basic principles of economics will be outlined. It
will be shown that these principles provide a basis for a decision framework
for health policy making. The usefulness of the principles and the framework
would be illustrated by use of case studies of the costs and benefits of
health interventions. As any economic evaluation is made up of a 'cost side'
and a 'benefit side', it is important to consider the methods used in each.

2. Identifying, measuring and valuing costs
What costs are we interested in? How might they be measured and valued?
These questions can be addressed with reference to the principles outlined
in the first session. Some pitfalls in measurement and valuation will also
be outlined. One challenge is how to account for costs (and benefits)
arising at different points in time. Methods of doing this would be
outlined. Another challenge is how to deal with uncertainty in estimates of
cost (and benefit). This is done by use of sensitivity analysis, which would
also be described.

3. Identifying measuring and valuing benefits
What do we mean by 'benefits' in health and health care? One such definition
is that benefits of care involve some combination of length and quality of
life, which has led to the development of the quality adjusted life year
(QALY). Here, we would describe how QALYs are constructed. Other methods of
valuing benefits (conjoint analysis and willingness to pay) which allow for
preferences beyond QALYs (e.g. where services should be located) would also
be outlined.

4. Case studies of economic evaluations alongside systematic review
In this session, the group will be given details about a systematic review
and will design an economic evaluation alongside the review. Later in the
session, we will refer to actual studies which have taken place in similar
areas. This session would illustrate pitfalls and problems in undertaking
such economic evaluations and in using the results.

Programme
8th October 2001
14.00 Welcome and introductions
14.30 1. Session 1: health economics. What is it? And why do we need it?
15.30 Coffee break
16.00 Session 2: Identifying and measuring costs
End of sessions day 1

9th October 2001
9.00 Session 3: Identifying and measuring benefits
10.30 Coffee break
11.00 Session 4: Case studies of economic evaluations alongside systematic
review
12.30 Concluding comments and close

Max number of participants per workshop is 15 but there is no charge for
attendance
For further information please contact Luke Vale ([log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>)
To register for this workshop send an e-mail to Malika Kherkhache
([log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>). Places will be
attributed on a first-come, first-served basis, so do not delay if you are
interested in this workshop. You will be informed about where the workshop
will be held when your registration for this workshop is confirmed