ELDIS DEVELOPMENT REPORTER
No 15, August 2001

Here is our selection of the latest services and documents added
to ELDIS, the gateway to information on development.  All
documents are available free on the Internet (or you can try our
email-only option).

NEW SERVICES
New resources supported by the ELDIS team
* Ageing populations resource centre
  Latest news and research on the economic and social effects of
  growing old
  http://www.ids.ac.uk/eldis/age/index.htm

* Intellectual Property Rights resource centre
  Latest news and research on IPR
  http://www.ids.ac.uk/eldis/ipr/index.htm

OUR EDITOR'S SELECTION FROM DOCUMENTS ADDED THIS
MONTH
Full Internet access details below. Each item includes links to
further Internet materials on the same subject.

1. Education provision to nomadic pastoralists: a literature review
2. Climate change science
3. IMF structural conditionality
4. A national development research strategy for Denmark
5. Assessing the effectiveness of the humanitarian response in
East Timor
6. Old-age support in developing countries
7. Challenging drugs patents in Brazil
8. Intellectual Property Rights - new commission
9. Funding needed for condom supply in Africa
10. The end of world population growth?
11. The truth about the environment - are concerns justified?

The links below lead onto the documents. You can also receive
these documents by email: see the end of this message for full
instructions on how to use this.

ACCESS DETAILS:

1. Education provision to nomadic pastoralists: a literature review
Krätli, S.
Institute of Development Studies, (IDS) UK, 2001

The need for flexible education programmes
http://www.ids.ac.uk/eldis/rc/educpastor.htm

2. Climate change science: a analysis of some key questions
Committee on the Science of Climate Change, National Research
Council, National Academy of Sciences, USA, 2001

Latest study for US government confirms warming data
http://www.ids.ac.uk/eldis/climsci.htm

3. IMF structural conditionality: how much is too much?
Goldstein, M.
Institute for International Economics (IIE), 2001

The prices of essential drugs should reflect countries' ability to pay
http://nt1.ids.ac.uk/eldis/imfstruct.htm

4. Partnerships at the leading edge: a Danish vision for knowledge,
research and
development
Commission on Development-Related Research Funded by Danida
[the Hernes Commission] Danish International Development
Assistance, 2001

A national development research strategy for Denmark
http://www.ids.ac.uk/eldis/policymaking/

5. East Timor Consolidated Appeal Process (CAP) Review Phase
3: External Review
Bugnion, C. et al for United Nations Transitional Administration in
East Timor (UNTAET), 2000

Assessing appropriateness and effectiveness of the humanitarian
programme
http://www.ids.ac.uk/eldis/timor.htm

6. Old-age support in developing countries: labor supply,
intergenerational transfers and living
arrangements
Cameron, L; Cobb Clark, D.A.
Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA), 2001

The Indonesian perspective on the social and economic reasons
why the elderly continue to work
http://www.ids.ac.uk/eldis/age/iza.htm

7. Drug companies vs. Brazil: the threat to public health
Oxfam, 2001

Challenging drugs patents in Brazil
 http://www.ids.ac.uk/eldis/braz.htm

8. Commission on Intellectual Property Rights (CIPR)

UK Government initiative web site from DFID on best practice in IPR
http://www.ids.ac.uk/eldis/cipr.htm

9. Condom gap in Africa: evidence from donor agencies and key
informants
Shelton, J. D.; Johnston, B.
British Medical Journal (BMJ), 2001

Funding needed for 1.9 billion extra condoms in Africa
http://www.ids.ac.uk/eldis/questioning/condom.htm

10. The end of world population growth
Lutz, W.; Sanderson, W.; Scherbov, S.
International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis, (IIIASA), 2001

Population numbers are predicted to fall, but the number of elderly
will still increase
http://www.ids.ac.uk/eldis/age/nat.htm

11. The truth about the environment
Lomborg, B.
The Economist, 2001

Are concerns about population, poverty and environmental
degredation justified?
http://www.ids.ac.uk/eldis/questioning/blomborg.htm

----------
See the complete list of new additions on our "What's new" page
at:

http://www.eldis.org

Don't forget to look at our Notepad service, containing items of
news, job adverts, conference details, etc.

http://www.ids.ac.uk/eldis/notepad/index.htm

HOW TO RECEIVE DOCUMENTS BY EMAIL

To help those of you with limited or no access to the Internet, we
are testing an automated service to deliver documents by email via
a web-to-email service. You can request a web document and it
will be sent to you as an email message.

For full instructions, send an email to:

You do not need anything in the subject field and the only text of
your message should be:

get http://www.ids.ac.uk/eldis/aug.htm

ELDIS currently includes descriptions and links to over 3500
organisations and over 6000 full-text online documents covering
development and environmental issues. It can be searched or
browsed free over the Internet.

If you would like to publicise ELDIS within your organisation, we
have printed leaflets available and an A2-size colour poster.
Contact us if you would like copies of these, or any other
information about ELDIS.

ELDIS is funded by Danida and Sida, and hosted by the Institute of
Development Studies, Sussex, UK

If you would like to receive this bulletin (or one of our 21 subject
focused bulletins) regularly (for free), you can register from our
home page, or just email to the address below.

Contact details:

Tracy Zussman-Kay
ELDIS Programme
at the Institute of Development Studies, Sussex
Brighton BN1 9RE, UK

Email: [log in to unmask]

Tel: +44 1273 877330
Fax: +44 1273 621202