Hi there

I once researched a bit about humour in 1994 as a slight digression to other
research I was doing and there may be some mileage in looking at some of the
writers on humour who look at how humour in society has evolved.
Unfortunately they do not make for the most exciting reading as they can be
a bit dry. I did a quick search and came up with this, but have not read it
myself

Humour in society : resistance and control / edited by Chris Powell,
George. - Basingstoke : Macmillan, 1988. - 0333440706

Also you might be interested in the concept of bisociation, this is the jump
from one plane of thought to another different plane, the intersection being
the eureka moment.  Koestler uses this concept to compare humour, science
and art to show similarity between them.

On page 84 in Koestler, A. (1964). The Act of Creation. London: Penguin
books. He cites an example from Freud:

The Prince, travelling through his domains, noticed a man in the crowd who
bore a striking resemblance to himself.
He beckoned him over and asked: "Was your mother ever employed in my
palace?"
"No, Sire," the man replied. "But my father was."

This shows the divergence from one line of thought to another completely
differing line which is the moment that you laugh. Also seem to remember
reading that the start of the act of laughing and that of shock are very
similar but they end up then diverging, but cannot remember where I read
that!

When I get chance I will dig through my joke archives and send you some
off-line.

cheers
marcus

are now located at: