Well, from the biased perspective of a Canadian who
went through a very enjoyable PhD process in the UK
from 1992-1995 (and sometimes felt very old!), it is
the visible manifestation of system that drives (and
expects) students to move straight through the entire
undergraduate/graduate education process in the 6-8
years after they finish high-school.  Most of the
students I worked with with were 24-26 when they
graduated with their PhD.  Cambridge is just being
open about their biases, with most geography
departments assuming this is the ideal career path
(unlike some other disciplines).  "Mature students",
students who took serious amounts of time off to
travel or work, students who took time off to raise
children, all face problems in the hiring process for
new Lecturer posts in the UK...after all, virtually
everyone on the hiring committee (at Cambridge and
elsewhere) went through this system, and the RAE has
only made the pressure worse as departments search for
young hardworking RAE-active fresh meat.

Kris Olds

--- Maureen Williams <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
> >Initial appointment will be on the University's
> Assistant
> Lectureship scale (currently £17,775 at age *26* to
> £23,256 at age *32*). Further particulars may be
> obtained
> from Professor A.D. Cliff, Head of Department,
> Department of Geography, University of Cambridge,
> Downing Place, Cambridge CB2 3EN, to whom
> applications (10 copies) should be sent by 21
> September
> 2001.
>
> The University of Cambridge is an *equal
> opportunities
> employer*
>

> One may ask what age has to do with compensation? As
> someone returning to
>       University to undertake doctoral research as
> part of a planned
>
> career change, a statement such as this leaves me
> concerned that the longterm
>       effects of hiring aimed at a particular cohort
> are still not being
>       recognised. Have we learned nothing from the
> current retirement crisis in
>       our departments?
>

> Maureen Williams
>
> Dept Canadian Heritage