Looks like, but is not quite, the case.  You must still have 5 years higher
training (post FRCS/MRCP), but your mandatory secondments can be in SHO
posts pre-MRCP/FRCS

-----Original Message-----
From: Adrian Fogarty [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 07 August 2001 12:46
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Whats wrong with me ?

Patrick Plunkett said:

> FACEM and FAEM training are, on paper, very similar, but there is a
significant difference in that 5 years Higher Specialty Training is
mandatory under European rules, whereas FACEM only needs four years. (30
months in Emergency Departments and 18 months in other disciplines)

But most British trainees get 12 to 18 months of their higher training
lopped off at the outset, in recognition of SHO level experience prior to
their entry exam. This rather makes a mockery of Europe's 5 year higher
training, doesn't it?

Patrick Plunkett said:

> The comment on clinical evaluation in the FFAEM is noted, and known, but
surely it is for a robust RITA system to ensure that trainees are up to
scratch clinically before presenting for the exam?  Only our profession can
adequately decide whether a person is acceptable, but they must do so in a
reproducible, transparent and fairf ashion.  That makes clinical exams,
performed in a ½ to 1 hour setting totally unrealistic.

But the RITA system could not be considered robust for a minute, it's a
rubber stamping exercise! The RITA "assessment" is essentially carried out
by your trainer, although a panel then "assesses" the trainer's assessment,
if you see what I mean. There is a glaring conflict of interest - no trainer
wants to drag down his trainee, partly as trainers get close to their
trainees, and partly as trainees' shortcomings will inevitably reflect on
the trainer's unit and his training status. There's nothing wrong with
clinical exams if planned and executed well. We already rely on them for
most undergraduate and postgraduate exams; at least they are viewed as
relatively independent and that is more important than ever these days.
Conversely if you are going to use continuous assessment, then use
continuous assessment alone; an exam at the end should not be necessary and
will only devalue the continuous assessment!

Adrian Fogarty

the system manager.