----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Waspe" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2001 9:22 PM
Subject: Re: MSc Emergency care

Mike

Having re-read Ian's message I think that you have missed the point with
regard to this course being managerial and not clinical.  Looking at the
modules it strikes me that they err towards putting pre-hospital/Emergency
care into the context of the wider Health Community, an environment in which
we will undoubtedly practice in the none to distant future.

<MH> this is a factor nursing still hasn't got it's head round, often
'management' is seen as a thing that SIsters and charge nurses 'do' and know
about and students and more junior nurses will be critiscised ifthey show
'too much' interest in management type things, which can include things such
as the policies and procedures that impact on everyone's clinical practice

I have just completed the part time BSc in Paramedic Sciences at
Hertfordshire and that course, attended by working Paramedics, covered many
of the "managerial" aspects of working in "Health".  The key focus however
was the patient as an individual with rights and privileges not a set of
signs and symptoms subjected to procedures. Equally important however was
the fact that at the end of it all my colleagues and I understand more now
about how to improve our practice on the streets beyond just the clinical
skills we fought hard to achieve over the years.

<MH>If one looks at the difference between training and educating health
professionals, it's often the social sciences and thinngs like
organisational behaviour and management which make the difference

If Paramedics and Technicians are to develop as the emergency arm of the
Health Service and not the health arm of the emergency services* and
maximise patient care we must have an evidence base to work from.  This base
will come from pre-hospital research led by Paramedics and others in
pre-hospital medicine who are equipped with the appropriate skills gained
from higher education.

<MH> i'd agree with that sentiment, in ten years time one would espect the
research about PHC to be done by PHC practitioners not by medical academics
and A+E docs ( not that there isn't a place for some of that, don't get me
wrong on that)

I would not for one moment dismiss the need to improve our clinical skills,
especially those of patient assessment but if emergency care is to move
forward and ambulance folk want to be at the cutting edge then we need to
look over the horizon.

<MH> very true, the paramedic profession is lucky that it doesn't have the
baggage that nursing has ;-)
Steve

* apologies for borrowing this phrase from the ASA report into the Future of
Ambulance Services in the UK