To all:

I was talking to another Physiotherapist today about an article I read in
Postgraduate Medicine by Hadler entitled “Fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, and
other iatrogenic diagnostic algorithms - Do some labels escalate illness in
vulnerable patients?” The article stated that syndromes such as fibromyalgia
might primarily be psychogenic. I thought that was a fair statement bound
for controversy, and it definitely caused this other Physiotherapist
inferring that fibromyalgia and CFS were purely psychogenic pain. He was
quite insulted and angry since his wife has CFS, and he thought I was saying
his wife “made up her symptoms.”

I knew the above was more of a communication error between myself and this
other Physiotherapist. However while I was driving home, I thought to
myself, what is wrong with psychogenic pain? In essence, pain is a very
subjective experience and an element of mental processing must be involved.
Why is there a kind of stigma towards psychogenic pain? Why do people feel
insulted or offended through the pure mentioning of this “p” word?
Psychogenic pain almost has similar “offending power” as the word placebo
(and notice how they all start with the letter “p”).

All I have are questions: Is it simply the word psychogenic, meaning
generated from the mind? Is it that we under the medical model are so
focused on finding the source of the pain, the issues in the tissues, that
we have ignored the contributing psychosocial factors? Is it that
psychogenic pain comes with the labels such as crazy, demented and
hypochondriac? Or is it that with the rapid increase of litigation and work
related injuries, to have “pain coming from the mind” is viewed as being a
fake, a fraud, somebody who is just there for the money?

any thoughts or comments??

Henry***